I’d LIKE to consider myself healthy, but the thing is I just loooooove desserts and all things fattening too much. Those thick dark moist chocolate cake layers dripping with melted chocolate frosting call my name… sigh…
BUT in an attempt to still feed my sweet tooth and remain UNDER 6,000 pounds I was introduced to granola.
HELLO Sweet, crunchy…. healthy???
I was in love, this little concotion is the PERFECT place to hide all kinds of little healthy surprises in it and it STILL tastes AWESOME!
So let me introduce my “Good Mornin’ Granola” this is my attempt (and according to my hubby WILDLY SUCCESSFUL) at making my own granola with extra healthy stuff, LOW(er?) sugar, and a whole lotta crunch!
Here’s the thing, this is MY granola adapted from various recipes and adding things I thing would be nice (like chia seeds that are HIGHER in omega 3′s than salmon, loaded with protein, good fat AND very filling)- guarenteed AWESOME, crunchy, and nutty (a little like my family) if you want something to eat as a snack, in granola as a topping to… LIFE.. this is is! You can always add your favorite dried fruit after its baked to make it “trail mix-y”.
P.S. this is a GREAT activity to share with the little one in your life, mine LOVES all the dumping and stirring…and sometimes… eating..
What you’ll need:
- Rolled Oats (4 c)- I use the Trader Joes Brand
- Flax seed (1/2 c)- Once again Trader Joes
- Chia seed (1/2 c)- Trader Joes, see a pattern?
- Roasted (or unroasted) unsalted sunflower seeds (1/2 c)- you KNOW where this if from)
- Organic Raw Agave Nectar (1/2 c)- YES! Trader Joes
- Brown Sugar (1/2 c)- any kind….
- Cinnamon (a sprinkle? use as much as you like)- Costco!! breaking a pattern
- Vanilla (1 tsp or to taste)- Costco.. uh oh.. another pattern
- Egg beaters (2 tbsp) OR 1 egg white – anywhere
- Water (1 tbsp)- ummm… the faucet??
- Salt (a sprinkle .. approx 2 tsp)…anywhere
- Cooking spray … Costco
- Sliced unroasted almonds (USUALLY I add these but I’m all out)
Preheat oven to 325
In a large mixing bowl stir together with a large spoon (or your hands if you’re cool like that..or 2 like Little A) oats, chia seeds, flax, sunflower seeds, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar.
In a small bowl, whisk egg whites, agave nectar, water, and vanilla until frothy.
Pour egg white mixture over the granola and stir until evenly coated.
Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray. Pour (more like “dump” because it’s pretty dry still) evenly onto the baking sheets spreading to make a thin even layer.
Bake @ 325 for 15 minutes, STIR, Bake @ 225 8 minutes STIR, Bake @ 225 for 8 minutes
CHECK!! Depending on your oven it may be done- you know its done when its no longer wet/sticky when you stir and has reached a nice medium/dark brown color. If its not done keep baking & checking!!!